The book starts off by taking you through setup of an ideal development environment as a helpful recap, before diving into the projects straight afterwards.
- Takes you through the creation of several real-world Rails web applications.
- Provides a guide to setting up a perfect development environment with Rails and SQLite or MySQL, supporting Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems.
- Doesn’t waste time on the basics—assumes you know the fundamentals of Ruby and Rails already.
- Covers the newest Rails functionality, such as new plug-ins and engines, as well as the Rails REST implementation and Active Resource.
What you’ll learn
- How to set up Rails for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- How to use Rails with both MySQL and SQLite databases
- How to incorporate the latest plug-ins, engines, and Ruby Gems into your applications, saving you hours of development time
- How to make consistent styling of your applications a walk in the park using the Yahoo YUI
- How to retrofit a PHP site to Rails
- How to add sparkle to your applications using Ajax techniques
- How to use cutting-edge Rails functionality such as REST and Active Resource
Who is this book for?
This book is for anyone who has gone beyond the basics of Rails and wants to learn higher-level Rails techniques. It is also useful for those experienced in other disciplines (such as Java and PHP) who want to learn Rails.
About the Apress Practical Series
The Practical series from Apress is your best choice for getting the job done, period. From professional to expert, this series lets you apply project-motivated templates (or frameworks) step by step in a very direct, practical, and efficient manner toward current real-world projects that may be sitting on your desk. So whatever your career goal, Apress can be your trusted guide to take you where you want to go on your IT career empowerment path.
About the Author
Eldon Alameda is a web developer who currently resides in the harsh climates of Kansas. He develops Ruby on Rails applications for a small technology startup in downtown Kansas City; prior to this, he did development for a variety of companies including local advertising firms, Sprint PCS, and IBM. During the nineties, he also acquired a nice stack of worthless stock options from working for dot-com companies. When he’s not sitting in front of a computer or irritating his wife by describing a new technology as “sexy,” Eldon spends most of his time at home playing games with his young daughter.
- Taschenbuch: 621 Seiten
- Verlag: (2007-11-07 )
- Preis: 24.52 €
- Sprache: english
- ISBN-10: 1590597818
- Autor(en): Eldon Alameda