Beginning Rails 3 is the practical starting point for anyone wanting to learn how to build dynamic web applications using the latest release of the Rails framework for Ruby. You’ll learn how all of the components of Rails fit together and how you can leverage them to create sophisticated web applications with less code and more joy. This book is particularly well suited to those with little or no experience with web application development, or who have some experience but are new to Rails.
Beginning Rails 3 assumes basic familiarity with web terms and technologies, but doesn’t require you to be an expert. Rather than delving into the arcane details of Rails, the focus is on the aspects of the framework that will become your pick, shovel, and axe. Part history lesson, part introduction to object-oriented programming, and part dissertation on open source software, this title doesn’t just explain how to do something in Rails, it explains why.
* Learn to create Rails web applications from scratch
* Includes a gentle introduction to the Ruby programming language
* Completely updated to include the new features of Rails 3What you’ll learn Rails 3 is a huge new release that includes the combined power of Rails and Merb. Beginning Rails 3 will get you started in learning this new technology and creating dynamic web applications in next to no time.
* Install Rails on a Mac, Windows, or Linux system
* Understand the Model-View-Controller architecture
* Learn the value of databases and how to set up MySQL in Rails
* Get instant feedback on your work by testing in the Rails Console
* Add Ajax and visual effects to create rich user interfaces
* Use and create your own Rails plug-insWho is this book for?
Web developers who want to harness the power of Rails 3 to quickly build dynamic Rich Internet Applications. Anyone who hasn’t used Rails before will be able to learn the basics from this book. About the Apress Beginning Series The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry-level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from „novice to professional.“ You’ll start your journey by seeing what you need to know-but without needless theory and filler. You’ll build your skill set by learning how to put together real-world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there-it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!